Tuapan + Satay + Tomyam

Recently I tried tuapan with some of my friends. I've heard about this dish for a long time but never got a chance to try it. This dish has good reputation among the locals but I totally have no idea about what it is. As far as I know, they start operating at 6pm and end at 7pm when they finish selling.The stall is owned by my friend's relatives so she helped us to reserve a table.


We reached there at 6.30pm but it took half an hour for the dish to be served. Surprisingly, tuapan is actually (or similar to) what we call as 'watanho' in Sabah and maybe in other states as well but the noodles used might be a lil bit different. After searching through the Internet, I got to know that tuapan is actually a type of noodles (broader version of kueyteow). Tuapan was stir-fried with black sweet soy sauce to give a tint of burnt taste (wok hei) and it's served with chicken slices, fish slices, fried fish slices, prawns, fish ball and some vegetables. The fish was very fresh and without the fishy taste while the prawns' texture was kinda crispy and not so 'powdery'. Watanho is always one of my fav food since I was a child because I like the 'wok hei' although it's harmful to our health :p  I've never eaten watanho since the day I left Sabah to further study so it's good to finally eat my favourite dish.

Tuapan
After that some of my friends took away some satay at a stall for their roommates. There's a satay stall which is quite famous but we didn't buy from there Idk why but guess what? It costs only RM0.40 for one satay! 
The satay stall


Satay and chicken wings
Living in small town is good because local food are all much cheaper than that in big city. I don't know why but the food price is very high in Sabah compared to Sarawak and other states other than Kuala Lumpur. The food price in Sabah is almost the same as that in KL lol too bad... When I was in Alor Setar last year, there's wantan mee which costs only RM2.50 but in small portion. In my campus, wantan mee costs RM3.50 but in KK, it'll cost around RM6- RM7. Even economic rice is not so economic in Sabah because when you check out, your economic rice will usually costs you RM5-RM7 *sigh*


At night we went out again for supper. I tried tomyam at a local stall. We can pick what we want to put in the soup but most of the choices were ready-made food so I chose some mushroom, wantan, fuchook etc. Tomyam here in North Malaysia is quite different from tomyam in East Malaysia. Tomyam here tasted very sour and kinda sweet while tomyam in East Malaysia tasted a bit spicy and kinda milky.

tomyam. This costs RM6.50
Goal before graduating: Try out all good food in Sungai Petani, Bedong and Semeling :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lollipop Cafe

Little Thoughts before mid sem test

Overstepped Cafe